Re: Install Question

From: <sunk_at_focushope.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 18:58:34 GMT

In article <37A9C996.EAFBFD5A_at_Intel.Com>,   Jorge Torralba <Jorge.Torralba_at_Intel.Com> wrote:
> Is there a way of installing Oracle products on UNIX without the use
of
> the installation utility ?
>
> for example with Informix you simply cpio or tar a compressed file.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jorge Torralba
> SMG Applications Group
>
> Intel
> 5200 N.E Elam Young parkway
> JF1-18
> Hillsboro OR, 97124
> (503) 712-1731
> Jorge.Torralba_at_Intel.com
> Any views or opinions expressed by me do not reflect those
> of Intel Corp.

Jorge,

Are we talking about a fresh installation or dup an existing instance/db?

If it's a fresh install(you don't have any existing Oracle instance on your UNIX box), I'm afraid that using installer is the only way to unload the file system($ORACLE_HOME/...) from the CD. Even you may create db later.

I'm not an informix guy, but I assume when you cpio or tar, you already have an existing db. In that case Oracle is same, just copy the $ORALCE_HOME to the new place and you have option to create new db or copy the existing db(make sure you change the initsid.ora, configsid.ora, listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, oratab... when copy the existing db you also need backup controlfile to trace to get a script to startup the new db...)

Hope this will help, Kurt.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Aug 05 1999 - 13:58:34 CDT