Oracle 8 Personal Edition - can't talk to instance over tcp/ip

From: Richard Price <explore65_at_yahooo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:25:36 -0600

Hello - I've got a fresh install of O8 PE that I can see and talk to over SQL Plus via the BEQ protocol. What I can't do it talk to it over TCP/IP. I can talk to other servers fine, indicating that sql net is installed and working. I am using the following entry.

LOC_IP.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)(PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =
192.168.100.200)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

It produces the following error in SQL plus; "ORA-12224: TNS No linster".

Now on my NT box under similar circumstances, I was a able to find the the listener process and start it when it was stopped. How can I do this under 98? Maybe this is one of those ares where O8 PE may have difficulties under 98? It's interesting that it runs fine unde rsome protocols and not others.

Thanks,
Richard Received on Thu Aug 05 1999 - 14:25:36 CDT