Re: Oracle/Netware/JDBC

From: C. Ferguson <c_ferguson_at_rationalconcepts.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 11:32:35 -0700

Hi Jon, see comments in line...

Jon wrote:

> Doesn't anyone write clear and concise documentation anymore, or am I
> just plain stupid? Several months ago I undertook a side project. I
> am not embarassed to say I bit off more than I can chew. The good
> news is that I am learning a lot ... the bad news is progress is too
> slow.
>
> The Scenario:
> 1. Assume hardware is up to par (server is 400MHz, 256M RAM, 4 9GB
> drives, and so on);
> 2. Running Netware 5.0 on top of DOS 6.22 on compressed SYS volume
> (one 9GB drive and one 9GB mirror);
> 3. Running Oracle 8.0.3 for Netware on non-compressed VOL1 volume
> (same drive config);
> 4. Using TCP/IP (100MBPS);
> 5. After two trys, install was a success;
> 6. Figured out how to create a database, set up accounts, etc;
> 7. Know how to create and manage database objects;
> 8. Got a database working, and can work on it from the client side;
> 9. Have Symantec Visual Cafe DB Ed on client (new to Java ...
> actually, new to a lot of all this!);
> 10. The application will run on client workstations (since only 4 or 5
> max).
>
> The Problem:
> 1. Very confused about setting up and using JDBC;

  Usually happens when you are first starting out, so don't beat yourselft up...

> 2. Have some basic understanding, but need specific details ... all
> documentation, web sites, books, etc. fail at this (from my point of
> view);
> 3. How do I know if I should use OCI or Thin drivers?

    Use OCI if you are writing an application that is running on the server.

    Use thin drivers for applets. You can also use the thin drivers for applications.

    Do you understand the difference between a java applet and application?

    Browse around the javasoft site and join the java developer connection at that site.

> 4. Very very confused on where these drivers get installed. On
> server? On client? On both?;

    Now, I'll admit that I've never used the OCI driver because my point of view comes
from the java side. I just happen to be using an oracle database. I was at the oracle site and have
seen writeups on the drivers (thin and oci) so, I know Oracle has documented.
Join the technet group (at Oracle site) if you are not already a member. It's free.

   Installation of the thin driver typically is on the web server. Thin driver means no client install.
When you run an applet, oracle driver should be one of the classes that gets downloaded with
the applet classes.

> 5. JDBC drivers would NOT install when installing Oracle ... some kind
> of problem with long name support on the CD which doesn't make sense,
> because could not add name space long to a read only device;
> 6. Based on #5, assume install on server?;

      Is your webserver on the same machine as the db server? If yes, then yes.

      See answer4 if no.

> 7. Netware/Oracle documentation says to put in SYS:/JDBC/LIB, but on
> our system that is compressed ... why can't I just put on the
> non-compressed volume dedicated to Oracle?;

    You can put it anywhere you want as long as you specify it in the classpath.

> 8. Then the Netware/Oracle documentation says to change CLASSPATH to
> inlude path where drivers are ... but isn't CLASSPATH an environment
> variable on the client side? How will autoexec.bat know about which
> volume the drivers are on if on server?;

   The documents seem to be talking about an application. Whatever machine the
application is running, that's the machine where the CLASSPATH should be modified.
I never use the CLASSPATH environment variable. I always use the -classpath option for the
java and javac tools. Why, you ask? Because other tools/applications may be relying on this
setting and by changing it you might just be screwing someone else up.

In order for a client to be running a java application on their machine, they will have to have at
least the java runtime environment installed. If they are running the application over the network,
the application home machine will have to have at least the java runtime environment installed.

  For an applet, the classes111.zip or classes12.zip file is just another file in the archive tag
of your html document that is loading the applet.

> 9. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

   So, in summary. Join the java developer connection, download the jdk from javasoft, and look at
the api documentation. Download the java tutorial and run through that. When you get a little bit more understanding of how the java side is going to work, then go back and
read the documents for the Oracle drivers. I think it will make much more sense to you then.
Oh, and before I forget. My understanding of the OCI is that you will have to learn specific syntax.
Might not be too bad, but since you are learning java too, it would be one more thing on your plate.
...and then again, if your plate is already overfull, what's one more thing? :-)

Hope that cleared some things up at least a little. Best of luck,
Cindy