Oracle/Netware/JDBC

From: Jon <conqaaz_at_blueskyweb.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 09:33:05 GMT

Doesn't anyone write clear and concise documentation anymore, or am I just plain stupid? Several months ago I undertook a side project. I am not embarassed to say I bit off more than I can chew. The good news is that I am learning a lot ... the bad news is progress is too slow.

The Scenario:
1. Assume hardware is up to par (server is 400MHz, 256M RAM, 4 9GB drives, and so on);
2. Running Netware 5.0 on top of DOS 6.22 on compressed SYS volume
(one 9GB drive and one 9GB mirror);

3. Running Oracle 8.0.3 for Netware on non-compressed VOL1 volume
(same drive config);

4. Using TCP/IP (100MBPS);
5. After two trys, install was a success;
6. Figured out how to create a database, set up accounts, etc;
7. Know how to create and manage database objects;
8. Got a database working, and can work on it from the client side;
9. Have Symantec Visual Cafe DB Ed on client (new to Java ...
actually, new to a lot of all this!);
10. The application will run on client workstations (since only 4 or 5 max).

The Problem:
1. Very confused about setting up and using JDBC; 2. Have some basic understanding, but need specific details ... all documentation, web sites, books, etc. fail at this (from my point of view);
3. How do I know if I should use OCI or Thin drivers? 4. Very very confused on where these drivers get installed. On server? On client? On both?;
5. JDBC drivers would NOT install when installing Oracle ... some kind of problem with long name support on the CD which doesn't make sense, because could not add name space long to a read only device; 6. Based on #5, assume install on server?; 7. Netware/Oracle documentation says to put in SYS:/JDBC/LIB, but on our system that is compressed ... why can't I just put on the non-compressed volume dedicated to Oracle?; 8. Then the Netware/Oracle documentation says to change CLASSPATH to inlude path where drivers are ... but isn't CLASSPATH an environment variable on the client side? How will autoexec.bat know about which volume the drivers are on if on server?; 9. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sorry so long winded ... and thank you so very much for taking the time to read this ... hopefully if you can help you will respond.

Please comment on anything else you think I'm doing wrong too!

Jon Cardella
Implementation Analyst
TechRx Received on Thu Aug 05 1999 - 04:33:05 CDT