Re: shutting down Orale6 SuSe6.3 linux

From: Chris Weiss <weisschr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:40:13 -0400

Oracle will hang if there are pending transactions (uncommitted inserts, updates, or deletes) or open sessions. You need to kill all open sessions first or change your shutdown parameters.

Run the dbshut from the command line. If it works, then you know the program is fine. If not, query v$session for open sessions. If you find some, kill them and try again. The command is

alter system kills session '<sid>,<serial#>';

When you know dbshut works, change the online parameter to "immediate" to force a shutdown when you want it. You might have a daemon or some other process grabbing a session and hanging on. Web servers will often grab a session and hang on to it.

Christopher Weiss
Professional Services Division
Compuware Corporation