shutting down Orale6 SuSe6.3 linux

From: Sandy Pittendrigh <sandy_at_nervana.montana.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:16:30 -0600

I have an oracle 8 running successfully on an SuSe6.3 linux box.

the tnslistener and server start up fine on reboot, via a link in /sbin/init.d/rc5.0/link-to -> ../startoracle.sh

which contains:

  su - oracle -c /path-to-oracle/bin/dbstart &   su - oracle -c "/path-to-oracle/bin/lsnrctl start" &

But I can't get the shutdown to work on reboot. SuSe Linux has a script called /sbin/init.d/halt.local that belongs to root.root

in it I have:

  su - oracle -c /path-to-oracle/bin/dbshut &   su - oracle -c "path-to-oracle/bin/lsnrctl stop" &

in halt.local I added a debugging message echo `date` > /tmp/misery
which puts a date in /tmp/misery, so halt.local runs, but does not stop oracle.

The rebooting process locks up with an RPC sndmesg error 101 and never seems to time out.
So I have to stop oracle manually before rebooting.

How do I make this work?
Send email please. I'll post any succesfull solution.

--

/* Sandy Pittendrigh                  >--oO0>