Re: which is faster to do over an dover a select with join or a view that does ajoin

From: <timcuth_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:49:33 GMT

ramdan_at_mailexcite.com (ramdan) :

> I have a web page where people ask for info that quieres several tables.
> one
> piece of info requires a join of two tables.
>
> what will be faster and or more efficent an
>
> 1 - an SQL select that does a join and gives the results
> 2 - a view that presents the result of the join
>
> since this info is going to be asked mulipte times a minute which is better

> will having it in a view make it quicker to get?

For your specific circumstances, I would go with a view. Any difference will be minimal, but the SQL statement will have to be parsed each time it is executed (even just long enough to see if it is still in the shared pool), whereas the view is already defined to the system and ready for execution.

Tim Received on Thu Jul 29 1999 - 17:49:33 CDT