Re: Unix Performance Issues

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:50:35 +0800

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> If you think your process is 'losing time' then the
> best bet is to set event 10046 at level 8 to generate
> a trace file that includes wait states (equivalent to
> v$session_wait).
>
> There are several approaches however
> a) Don't set the event, look at v$session_event
> for the relevant SID before and after the critical
> code - this will give you a summary of waits for
> the task
>
> b) If you can control the process code, then issue:
> alter session set event '10046 trace name context forever, level 8'
> before the code-proper starts. Make sure that the trace file size
> is large before you do this.
>
> c) If you are not in control of the process code, then
> you may have to send a message into the process
> after is has started. Use svrmgrl to do this. Identify
> the Unix process id of the shadow, then:
> svrmgrl
> connect internal
> oradebug setospid {unix process id}
> oradebug unlimit
> oradebug event '10046 trace name context forever, level 8'
>
> NB - the ',' before the 'level' may be an error in one or other
> (or both) b and c, I can never remember which events use
> commas in which environment.
>
> I doubt, by the way, if fragmentation of system tables (I assume
> you mean data dictionary tables) could have a significant effect
> on your process.
>
> --
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Le Beaux wrote in message <379f5e33.192146862_at_news.primenet.com>...
> >Is there a command that I can run on a UNIX machine while executing a
> >SQL command via SQL*Plus that will output all table hits performed
> >while this command is being executed?
> >
> >I think we have a problem with system tables being fragmented, and now
> >I am looking for a tool that will help me prove this either wrong or
> >right.

Hello Johnathon,

I've just inherited a db with a large array of event tracking parameters within init.ora. Does tracking the event pose any significant additional overhead on the server ?

Cheers
Connor
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Jul 29 1999 - 04:50:35 CDT