Re: Moving Database

From: Liz Reen <Liz_at_reading.news>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:51:11 -0400

In article <7mndft$cj7$1_at_ezekiel.eunet.ie>, feargal_costello_at_ward.ie says...
> Hi,
> Our company have an Oracle 7.3 database running on OpenVMS. They plan to
> cluster the current machine. This will entail renaming the disks. How can I
> save my current instance and database
> a. Recreate new database and import all from dump file
> b. startup mount and rename files
> c. another way ?
>
> Any suggestions, help, experience of same ????
>
> Feargal

Did you use logicals when you created your database files? i.e. disk1:[dir]database.dbf (you will not see a change when the disks change)
or did you hard code it?
i.e. vax$dua1:[dir]database.dbf (you're in trouble)

If you did the second approach take the opportunity to fix it now. I'm assuming that you are not the system manager. Get with the manager, find out the logical names and then put them in the output from alter database controlfile to trace. This way when the disks change again, you will not have a problem.

Liz
--
My real address is L R E E N a t P E R R I E R G R O U P dot C O M Received on Mon Jul 26 1999 - 10:51:11 CDT