Re: Direct access over SQL*Net to a oracle database without ODBC from MSVC++

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:33:58 -0400

Hi:

If you're using MS VC, there's two native possibilities:

  1. Use the Oracle Pro*C precompiler. You can set this up this pre-compile step within the MSVC IDE. You can imbed SQL statements within the C/C++ code. Pro*C is a seperate purchase, and I've never used it, but I know that lots of folks do, and it apparently works quite well. I don't *think* there's anything additional that has to be installed on the end-user client.
  2. Use the Oracle OCI. In this case, you simply make function calls from the C/C++ code. It's included with the basic Oracle software, it's the highest performance method, but it's also the most complicated. Nothing additional needs to be installed on the end-user client. On the developer client, there's some include files and a library that has to be linked. See the downloads page on the site below for an index rebuild utility written in C that uses the Oracle7 OCI for an example. Also, read the Oracle documentation about this approach (Oracle developer's guide, using the Oracle OCI...something like that.)

Both of these require the Oracle client on the end-user workstation, of course.

Regards,
--
David C. Sisk
Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm Like original music? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult

<379c41e9.14230562_at_personalnews.de.uu.net>...