Inserting multiple constant rows into a table

From: Roy Smith <roy_at_popmail.med.nyu.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:44:11 -0400

I've got a table with one column:

create table foo
(

   bar varchar2(10)
);

which I want to populate with constant values. I could do a bunch of insert statements:

insert into foo values ('widget');
insert into foo values ('doodad');
insert into foo values ('gizmo');

etc, etc

but I'm wondering if there's a way to do that in a single insert? Doesn't seem to be from what I can tell.

If it matters, I'm running Oracle 8, but am really looking for a portable solution.

--
Roy Smith <roy_at_popmail.med.nyu.edu>
New York University School of Medicine Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 10:44:11 CDT