newbie: stuck in Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux installation

From: Verna Legaspi <vlegaspi_at_uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:22:47 -0700

I think I'm stuck trying to install Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux. I'm running RedHat 6.0. I'm basically at the "Assest Manager" section, or the Installer (please excuse me if I'm using the wrong terminology.) All I get for options to install are :
* Oracle On-Line Text Viewer

That's with using the unix.prd file in my orainst/ subdirectory. There's another one in the directory above it, but it only has :
* Oracle8 Standard (RDBMS & PLSQL) 8.0.5.1.0

If I try to install Oracle8 Standard, get an error message saying something to the effect that what I'm trying to install is a patch release to be installed with v8.0.5.0.0 of RDBMS. And I get a similar error with the precompiler, except it (correctly?) tells me that no compiler is installed.

Did I miss something?

TIA,
Verna Legaspi
vlegaspi_at_uswest.net Received on Thu Jul 22 1999 - 02:22:47 CDT