Re: hypothetical question:select count(*) hung?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:32:32 -0700

David

Could the table have originally been very large? if the highwater mark hasn't been reset, that's how far Oracle will search before returning a value of zero, thus giving the appearance of being hung. Check to see if there is actual disk activity taking place, or if the table's empty, truncate it to reset the HWM and see how long the select takes.

HTH. Pete

--
Regards

Pete