hypothetical question:select count(*) hung?

From: David Spaisman <david.spaisman_at_compaq.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:39:51 -0400

Someone recently proposed a hypothetical question to me about the following situation and I thought it was interesting.

If there is an empty table in a database and a select count(*) is tried aganst an empty table.
The connection hangs and no reply is returned. What could be the cause?

Any infomration on how to resolve such a situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

David Spaisman Received on Wed Jul 21 1999 - 11:39:51 CDT