Re: Desperate Newbie:

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:23:20 +0200

You need to have
1 a valid sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora and listener.ora on the server 2 a valid sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora on any client Previous experiences with easy config tell - you can use flat domains only (ie all domains ending in world) - it doesn't modfify/create a listener.ora for you. I can't tell you whether that holds for your situation also, as I never used 8i. I have a feeling though it does.
The files are located in %ORACLE_HOME%\net80 (or net81)\admin. You shouldn't need to include the full domain always. You should have that in your default_domain and default_zone setting in sqlnet.ora. If you are in doubt post or e-mail the configuration files, and the group will correct them.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA