Re: ORACLE8 NT and RAID5

From: Kaboel Karso <karso_at_kpn.com>
Date: 20 Jul 1999 14:36:05 GMT

hi,

RAID0 	= striping
RAID1	= mirroring
RAID2	= duplexing
RAID5	= striping with calculation of the parity bit placed on all the disks
participating in the raid volume using these in a round robin fashion
RAID10	= striping & mirroring

Saying that, you should investigate what the different raid levels is actually doiing. For performance reasons RAID0 is preferrable. As for reliability, you must have some sort of protection. The best scenario is using RAID10 (RAID 1+0). btw, there is a difference between RAID 0+1 and RAID 1+0 , not performance wise but in case of a disaster.

Imo, the next best scenario is to use RAID5 for the datafiles and place all other files causing sequential writes e.g the redo logfiles, on a non raided disk. The redolog files preferrably mirrored by Oracle.

I found some whitepapers on this topic on the SUN website a while ago. Maybe they're still available.

Kaboel

dcoan_at_aegonusa.com schreef in artikel <7mo0dg$obe$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...