Instance up time

From: peasland <peasland_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:46:44 -0500

I am trying to figure out how long an instance has been running. In Oracle8, this is pretty easy since the V$INSTANCE view has a column called 'startup_time'. This is different in Oracle7. If I query the V$INSTANCE view, I get the following information:

SQL> select * from v$instance;

KEY                                                                   VALUE
RESTRICTED MODE                                                           0
SHUTDOWN PENDING                                                          0
STARTUP TIME - JULIAN                                               2451339
STARTUP TIME - SECONDS                                                13688

How can I use the two 'startup time' values to determine the length of time the instance has been running? The 'startup time-julian' value does not correspond to any julian date. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian Peasland
peasland_at_msn.com Received on Wed Jul 14 1999 - 19:46:44 CDT