ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure

From: Ingvar Larsson <ingvar.larsson_at_gil-support.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:56:19 GMT

 Hi Fellows!

Please, if you think you got any idea about how I can solve this I would be more than happy. I know this might be a little bit to long to be easy to read but, please, give it a chance.

The whole started when Oracle wrote a message about it could not extend an index in the SYSTEm tablespace. The index belongs to a system table.

The manager tried to set extend to unlimited on the SYSTEM tablespace and all indexes and tables in that tablespace.

Then he tried to restart Oracle but it did not went down sp he killed the all of the Oracle processes and manually removed allocated shared memory.

Since then we got the following when we tries to restart from svrmgrl:

Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.0 with the 64-bit option - Production PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

SVRMGR> connect internal;
Connected to an idle instance.
SVRMGR> startup nomount;
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area       9070936 bytes
Fixed Size                       50832 bytes
Variable Size                  7860936 bytes
Database Buffers               1126400 bytes
Redo Buffers                     32768 bytes
SVRMGR> alter database mount;
Statement processed.
SVRMGR> recover database;
Media recovery complete.
SVRMGR> alter database open;
alter database open
*
ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure
ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [4000], [5], [], [], [], [], [], []

The trace file written by Oracle starts as follows:

Dump file /fs1/oracle/app/oracle/7.3.4/admin/agresso/udump/ora_1629.trc Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.0 with the 64-bit option - Production PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
ORACLE_HOME = /fs1/oracle/app/oracle/7.3.4 System name: OSF1

Node name:      alpha
Release:        V4.0
Version:        878
Machine:        alpha

Instance name: agr
Redo thread mounted by this instance: 0 <none> Oracle process number: 6
Unix process pid: 1629, image: oracleagr Received on Tue Jul 13 1999 - 16:56:19 CDT