RMAN and ArchiveLog

From: <molonede_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:40:29 GMT

I am setting up a backup using RMAN for a database that is in ARCHIVELOG mode and need some help with an incremental scenerio with the archive logs and a full backup with archive logs.

I was planning on setting up the following situation: Sunday: Cold Backup Database Closed file system backup. Monday: Incremental 0
Tuesday: Incremental 2
Wed: Incremental 2 cumulative
Thurs: Incremental 1
Friday: Incremental 2 cumulative
Saturday: Incremental 2 cumalative

When is the best day(s) to initiate the ALTER SYSTEM CHECKPOINT and ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT? Along the same line, is it better to run these commands before the backup begins or after it is complete? Also, is it wise to backup the ARCHIVELOGS daily and keep a day or two worth of logs available on disk rather than restoring from tape?

I've seen lots of examples, but none show a complete strategy that includes archivelog info.
Thanks
Doug

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 13 1999 - 11:40:29 CDT