Re: start a crashed database?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:45:44 -0700

There may be a more straight forward answer than the other two posters have suggested (both are equally valid, though). Before looking for a lost control file, is the startup normally done with a parameter file that is NOT in the default location? If you don't specify the non-default location with the pfile= syntax, and there is no parameter file in the default location, Oracle will attempt to start with default values for many parameters, including control_files. See if you have a scripted startup that says startup pfile=/some_other_location/init.ora and use that.

HTH. Pete

unity_ag_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> My oracle database crashed because of power
> failure. I have to start or to recover it. The
> following messages appear while starting up the
> database with the SVRMGRL of ORACLE.
>
> I try to start the database with the command
> "startup open" or "startup mount" the ORACLE
> instance started, the used space will be displayed
> and this error messages:
> ORA-00205: error in identifying control file
> '.../control01.ctl'
> ORA-07360: sfifi: stat error, unable to obtain
> information about file.
>
> What can I do to start or recover the database?
> What should I do to create new control files which
> allows to start the database?
>
> Please help to explain.
>
> Thanks
>
> Karsten Spangardt