Re: RECOVER DATABASE question again.

From: tmgn <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:46:48 -0400

The only two backups that are valid that are taken when the Database is up and running are HOT backups and Export Backups(in Consistent Mode) .

What do U mean by Saving datafiles as U mentioned in Step 5.

What happens when U put a Tablespace in Backup mode is that the associated Datafile headers are frozen to reflect the CheckPoint SCN .But the Updates/Inserts to the Segments are not blocked. They are stored in the Redolog files which may be used to Recover the Database in case of a Crash.

Since the Datafiles are Consistent now, an OS Level Backup is Valid and can be used for subsequent Recoveries.

When you End the Tablespace Backup mode, the Datafile & Control file headers are updated with the present SCN and becomes insync with the rest of the Database.

In case of a Crash when the hotbackup is going on,
>Alter database datafile ' ......' end backup;
will make it Consistent without applying any Redolog files.

So U dont need to worry about putting a 25GB Tablespace in Hotbackup mode as feared by U'r predecessor.

In U'r Case, Since the files are from a 'Fuzzy' backup , Oracle complains that even the SYSTEM file has to be recovered.

Try Recovering from a Cold backup or a Valid Hotbackup or a Consistent Export Backup...

-Thiru