Re: Row locking and serializability

From: <iggy_fernandez_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 05:18:54 GMT

Thanks to all who participated in this debate. I now have a better understanding of serializability and of the strengths and weaknesses of the Oracle locking implementation. As a closing note, here is a message from an Oracle analyst on the Oracle Metalink forum, in response to a posting I made there.

Cheers.
Ignatius.

Disclaimers: (1) My employer(s) may have opinions very different from mine. (2) My opinions may prove to be significantly incorrect. (3) Oracle itself is the final authority on the capabilities of the Oracle product line.

From: Oracle, Helen Schoone
Subject: Re : What does it mean 'serializable' Posted on: 07 Jul 1999 09:58:14
Hi. I read the thread on deja.com referred to by Ignatius with interest. Quite a debate. While I understand your concern regarding how Oracle has interpreted the SQL92 standard and how Oracle has implemented this capability, my response in this thread has been with regards to how it is currently implemented. This implementation is well documented in both the Oracle8 Concepts and Application Developers Guides along with examples and discussion which identify the limitations.

As a side note, there is an enhancement request (754915) to re-introduce the capability to specify SERIALIZABLE at the database level.

Regards,
Helen Schoone
Oracle Server EE Analyst

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Jul 12 1999 - 00:18:54 CDT