Oracle 8 Server/JDBC Performance

From: Mark Hennessy <mhennessy_at_winvista.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:41:17 -0400

Hi. I am putting together a test database which contains a single table with 30 million items of data. (Each record is about 100 bytes, with an integer primary key). I need to be able to support between 50 and 100 reads to this table (search on integer primary key, which is indexed) per second.

Can anyone tell me what kind of hardware I will need for this level of performance?

I was thinking of initially testing on a Dual Processor NT machine (Dual Pentium II 450, 256 MB Memory, 7200 RPM Hard Drives) which will use Oracle 8. The test application will be a Java application using JDBC drivers, preferably Type 4. (Related question - does anyone have performance data for Oracle JDBC Drivers for Thin Type 4 vs Type 2). Any useful resources on performance figures of Oracle 8?

Regards,

Mark Hennessy
WinVista Corp Received on Sun Jul 11 1999 - 21:41:17 CDT