Re: Recreate index because of ORA-600

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:16:51 +0100

Well, Mark,

When I read this I knew that one of us had to be wrong, then I checked the manual and found that we were both right:

Oracle 8i SQL Reference p4-164 - Validating Structures:

analyze index validate structure
'Note that this option does not confirm that each row in the table has an index entry or that each index entry points to a row in the table'

analyze table validate structure cascade 'Each entry in the index must identify a row in the table. The indexed column value in the index entry must match that of the identified row'. 'Each value fo the table's indexes column must match the indexed column value of an index entry. The matching index entry must also identify the row in the table by the correct ROWID'.

So the answer is to validate the table structure with the cascade option - though I suspect this might take quite a long time to do for a big table.

--

Jonathan Lewis