Re: What is a better career? HELP ME

From: Alex <alex.hudghton_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:44:46 +0100

Daniel A. Morgan wrote in message <378289CC.CDE545E5_at_exesolutions.com>...
>> I am going to look for a job to do with Oracle. Basically I have two
choice:
>> to be an Oracle DBA or Oracle application developer.
>
>I would urge you to aim toward developer. From my experience you can not be
>good DBA without that background under your belt. DBAs that have never been
>developers are not as valuable to their employer and are not as able to
>understand development issues and work cooperatively with developers.

IMHO that is a statement which requires a rather strong reply - RUBBISH!

As you say below there are 3 types of DBA. My background is in engineering and I have a very good understanding of the way computer systems work and perform - unlike developers who only understand how their code works (if at all).

>That said there are basically three types of Oracle DBAs whose jobs are
>distinctively different. Their are DBAs that work on architecture and
almost
>never actually touch the product (most people would call them Data Base
>Architects).

True

There are development DBAs that work with product development
>teams.

Also True

 And there are Production DBAs whose primary responsibility is acting like
>the Fire Department.

Keeping the database up, resolving performance issues created by developers, monitoring space issues created by Database Architects and the tasks below.

They perform installs, backups, back-end optimization, and
>have umbilical chords attaching them to their pagers and cell phones.
>
>Daniel A. Morgan

And yes, before you ask I have been in all 3 roles

Regards

Alex Received on Wed Jul 07 1999 - 03:44:46 CDT