Re: ASYNCH I/O

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:42:38 +0200

Hi Doug,
I will use the AIX implementation as example. On AIX you both need to enable the asynch I/O feature of the OS and set USE_ASYNCH_IO to true.
Otherwise it won't work. The two options are complementing each other. The basic idea about asynch i/o is the requesting process doesn't wait for the I/O to complete. This does indeed mean having multiple database writers is useless, when async i/o has been enabled. On AIX the operating system itself will create extra writers, the number of writers is variable and can be changed through SMIT.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA