Binary Index Goes Bananas

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:35:01 -0400

I found a column with very low cardinality - 2 possible values in a table of 261,000 or so records. I created a binary index. Low and behold, a developer asked me why there would be a problem extending index space if they weren't doing any updates..(questionable wether they
were or not....but ).
I never found out wether they were really doing updates or not, but after
adding 500MB of space to the index space, they got the same error. Even if they were doing updates or inserts, doesn't this sound a little bit
like a huge amount of space for a binary index to be taking? Do binary indexes traditionally belong in non-updated tables?