Re: Rumours

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 18:03:39 +0800

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> You are of course correct that compliance and support
> are not the same thing. However, pushing the argument
> to an extreme, if Oracle Corp chose to release 7.3.5
> on 30th Dec 1999 and desupport 7.3.4 at that point
> you might find that the community would consider this
> to be less than acceptable behaviour. Especially if
> you are then advised to take out an extended maintenance
> support contract in order to be supported.
>
> Assuming that everyone agrees that desupporting the
> product 48 hours in advance of the big bang is not
> acceptable, what is a reasonable time-scale ?
>
> Given that some users were limited to 7.3.3 some 18 months
> ago, or in some cases only a year ago (and in some cases
> still are), Oracle Corp seems to have given them three option:
>
> Put off testing until Oracle produces the version that will be
> the supported version at year 2000 ?
>
> Start testing, but pay more for an EMS come the year 2000
>
> Start testing, but go live across the year 2000 on an untested
> upgrade, and trust Oracle that the upgrade will not affect the
> application.
>
> As far as 'official documentation' goes, I have never
> received any unsolicited warnings or advice about
> Year 2000 despite having a maintenance contract.
> (I don't know how the system works elsewhere, but
> I think you only get information if you ask for it or go
> hunting for it in the UK). However I will check back
> with some of the other users to see if they have
> received 'official advice' that they should/should not
> depend upon 7.3.3 being (a) compliant, and (b) still
> supported by the time the year 2000 arrived.
>
> I do note this specifically from the latest version of the Oracle Y2K white
> paper:
>
> QUOTE
> Desupported versions of Oracle7 from 7.1 and higher are compliant.
> Some of these versions have known Year 2000 issues. For complete
> information on the known issues, including workarounds, please
> refer to Metalink. Customers that do not have access to Metalink
> can obtain the information through Aspect's fax back option:
>
> OracleGold (800) 440-4653
> OracleSilver (800) 223-1711
> OracleBronze (407) 240-8900 (Eastern Region)
> (719) 635-8900 (Central/Mountain Region)
> (650) 551-8900 (Western Region)
>
> END QUOTE
>
> Maybe you could raise a documentation bug on the absence of
> fax-back numbers in the UK ?
>
> --
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Pete Sharman wrote in message <377BE471.149B54BF_at_us.oracle.com>...
> >Jonathan
> >
> >I can understand the frustration here. It's always annoying to be told one
> >thing and then another. Do you have official documentation on the message
> >you've been delivered? The reason I ask is I think we're looking at two
> >different issues here and that may cause confusion.

In Australia we received a note from Oracle that 7.3.3 would be fine etc etc etc...and then some months later we got a note saying that 7.3.4 was the supported one...

Funnily enough was attached a second note indicating some problems with cumulative/incremental exports with 7.3.3 around the year 2000...

Hmmmmm....

--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Sat Jul 03 1999 - 05:03:39 CDT