Re: DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS * DB_BLOCK_SIZE

From: Vinod <venkatesh.vinod_at_in.bosch.com>
Date: 29 Jun 1999 05:38:27 GMT

Hello there,

  Mostly you will not be using Metrics Server on your database for running dispatchers.
  (you may be having all connections coming in as DEDICATED).

  So, in this scenario, each connection creates an oracle server process on the
  Database Server-side. So, some amount of RAM( and not SGA) is used here.

  Further, so much of PGA is alloted for each server process(User connected) in the RAM.
  So, if 100 users are connected and you have specified 1MB as PGA   for each user, then 100 MB is taken from the MAIN MEMORY and not SGA).

  Further, some amount of RAM is reqd for Operating System.

  If you do not want Oracle to PAGE, then set PRE_PAGE_LOCK=FALSE in init.ora

  So, taking all this into account, ORACLE has suggested that you need to have
  SGA = 1/3 * (your entire RAM).

  If you have any questions, write to venkatesh.vinod_at_in.bosch.com

Regards,
Vinod.

Daniel Murray <dmurray_at_gnncast.net> wrote in article <377786C3.8C6158C_at_gnncast.net>...