Re: Database Copy

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:13:28 GMT

In article <37787CCF.D05E60A_at_douglas-informatik.de>,   Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= <j.mueller_at_douglas-informatik.de> wrote:
> I have lots of experience administering DB2 UDB V5.x databases,
> but I'm just starting a project that will require me to learn
> Oracle for the first time. Can you help me get started by telling me
> how
> I can copy an Oracle 8.0.3 database from one NT system to another
> Oracle 8.0.3 database on NT (schema and data). Under DB2 I do
> a full backup of the Database and restore to 'new'...
> That's all.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joachim Mueller

Hi Joachim,
Two methods -after installing the sw on the target server - the first one safe, the other quick and dirty. 1 exp80 the source database
2 create the target database by running oradim80 in GUI mode make sure you have suitable init<sid>.ora in %ORACLE_HOME%\database first. Specify the location of system tablespace etc on the advanced button
3 imp80 the source export file

second method
1 alter backup controlfile to trace in svrmgr30 on the source system 2 take all your files to the target system (database files, and redo log files)
3 create the service by using oradim80 in a dos box 4 make your have an appropiate init<sid>.ora before you do this 5 start the service
6 issue startup nomount in svrmgr30
7 take the file from step 1, edit it when necessary adding the line create controlfile
to it. Issue it by @<filename>
Maybe you should make that export anyway! Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jun 29 1999 - 07:13:28 CDT