Re: sqlplus broken not using env var ORACLE_SID

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:00:00 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "interlog" <carlod_at_interlog.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:41:19 -0400, you wrote:

>Anyone have any ideas why this is occuring
>
>If I set the ORACLE_SID=TEST and do the following
>
> sqlplus user/password
>
>I get the following error
>ERROR: ORA-1034: ORACLE not available
>ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment
>SVR4: Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
>But, If I do sqlplus user/password_at_TEST no problem.
>
>System is Solaris 2.6 & Oracle 7.3.4.

because TEST is not an oracle sid in this example, its a connect string. ORACLE_HOME+ORACLE_SID can be used to connect to a database on the same machine without using sqlnet.

ORACLE_HOME+TWO_TASK can be used to connect to a remote or local database using sqlnet.

TWO_TASK=TEST instead of ORACLE_SID=TEST

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 12:00:00 CDT