Re: shutdown immediate

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 22:22:12 +0100

No longer entirely true:

    shutdown immediate has to rollback every single     current transaction one after the other.

    At startup after an abort (7.3 and above I think) there     is code to delay recovery so that transactions are only     recovered as a new transaction hits a block needing     recovery. At 8.1 (I think) this is improved further in that     the block hit is recovered by the process that wants the     block and the rest of the blocks in the transaction are     handed off to smon.

One possibility for the 'immediate shutdown takes a long time' may be the use of a proper TEMPORARY tablespace. As the instance closes, the instance's 'permanent temporary segment' is released. In version 7.3.3 it is coalesced as the instance restarts, but possibly you have a version where it is coalesced at shutdown. If so, and if the segment has a VERY LARGE number of extents (e.g. 5,000) it could take a very long time to coalesce.

--

Jonathan Lewis