Re: Obtaining DDL creation scripts from oracle

From: Denzil Burriss <danyal_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:08:20 GMT

As for a piece of software to do the reverse engineering, try TOAD-- Tool for Oracle Application Developers. It has a lot of uses for a DBA as well.

Not to mention, it has a freeware version. All considered, it is a decent tool with a small footprint on your hard drive.

Here's the link:

http://www.toadsoft.com

HTH, Denzil
danyal_at_my-deja.com

In article <37727326.0_at_news.mountain.net>,   "Kenny Gump" <kgump_at_mylanlabs.com.nospam> wrote:
> Oracle has Designer 2000 which will do reverse engineering. Also, a
product
> called ERwin will do it.
>
> Another way is do a full export of the database not including data.
Then
> when you run import use the following command:
>
> imp show=y log=mydb.txt
>
> Instead of doing the import it will write all of the create DDL to
the file
> mydb.txt. You will have to go in a take out the " marks, but you
will have
> the scripts.
>
> Kenny Gump
>
> jabastias_at_my-deja.com wrote in message
<7kr53d$crs$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >Hi all,
> >
> >This is a bit of a newbie question. I have an existing oracle
(v7.3.x)
> >database but I don't have DDL source used to create it I would like
> >'clone' a clean version of the database. I'd like to know if there is
> >some way to get the oracle server to generate the DDL for an existing
> >database and dump it to a file for future use.
> >
> >I know all the information I need is in the system tables, but I
don't
> >want to have to write a program to generate the DDL for me unless I
> >absolutely have to.
> >
> >I know that SQL Server has a system stored proc which does it (not to
> >mention that it is a menu item in the enterprise manager,
sp_helptext).

> >Thanks
> >Jorge
> >
> >Please response to jbastias_at_stirlingdouglas.com
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 24 1999 - 16:08:20 CDT