Re: update 7.3.2 to 8.x on NT

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 22:05:18 +0200

Answers ... embedded
Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Vick wrote in message <7ku1e5$f7d$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Hello...
>I have an Oracle 7.3.2 database that I need to migrate to version 8. I
>know that there is a migration option that I can choose when installing
>8, but so far when I do that, the database pukes. I've been doing all
>this in a test situation with a tiny DB only about 1.5 GB. My
>production database is 42GB, I'm a little concerned!
>
>I have schema owner/user exports with all the grants, inserts and
>triggers etc, maybe I can export from 7.3.2 and then import into 8.0.5
>and not lose data? (some tablespace fragmentation that this should
>fix?)

This should work ok. The only thing to be done in the Oracle 8 database is run the catexp7 script to be able to read the v7 export.

>Can I change the DB Block size in the new DB and still import the old
>data? (from 2048 to 8192, to help with performance issues)

Yes

>Has anyone had good fortune with the migration tool?

The migration tool will only work with 7.3.4 databases. It does not convert all the rowids to the new format while imp will. When in doubt use the imp/exp way
I once migrated from 6 to 7 with the migration tool and it miscalculated the extra room in the system tablespace. I have an inkly feeling this will still apply with Oracle 8 migration.

>Suggestions? Maybe even a good resource book for questions like this?

What about the Oracle 8 New Features for Administrators course?