Re: anyone have exp w/raw vs. jfs on IBMRS6000 SP2

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:20:26 +1000

Not so sure about this. What is said is that Veritas is better than standard file systems. Not that it is better than raw.

Nowadays with modern file systems it is possible to obtain similar results on Read performance between raw and fs.

But Write is always faster in raw than via a fs (abstracting from fs "tricks" to simulate fast writing).

One of the problems with all these evaluations is that no clear distinction is made between Read and Write operations. I've also seen plenty of Write evaluations where the redo logs were kept in fs and tablespaces in raw. This is EXACTLY the opposite of what is needed to make raw perform at its best.

As for the supposed "difficulty" in managing raw partitions, that used to be true
many years ago. Any decent modern UNIX has plenty of excellent tools that make setting up and managing raw easy as pie.

What do I use? File systems for tablespaces, raw for redo logs. Magic performance!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto