Re: Memory Leak?

From: <sunblade_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:05:20 GMT

We have a priority 1 tar open with Oracle, however they haven't been much help yet. I have found out more information myself however through testing. I think the problem is with CPIO. Last night I shut down all of our instances/managers and tried to do a cold backup of one of the instances. There were no oracle processes running on the app or db server when i started it. The backup script ran starting up the instance i wanted to back up for a moment to get a listing of all the files it needed to backup (all normal commands run through svrmgrl, nothing that was out of the ordinary and the mem problem hadn't started yet) then it shut down the database and passed the list of files to cpio. As soon as cpio started backing up the files we started losing memory at about 10MB/sec :( I'm opening a trouble report with sun as well and having our vendor send in a techie to take a look. Anyone seen any solaris changes that may be made to help oracle run better but adversely affects cpio?

Adam Bodette
Systems Administrator
Artesyn Technologies

  Kenneth C Stahl <kstahl_at_lucent.com> wrote:
> If you even suspect a memory leak, contact Oracle support. It may be
> that there has been a patched issued which addresses the problem. If
> nothing else, it is better to check this first instead of trying to
> track it down yourself.
>
> Ken

> sunblade_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> Whenever we do a backup (hot or cold) the database server starts to
> consume memory at a steady rate until it is under 100MB free at which
> point the system starts to stop. During a backup i've run the TOP
> program and watched the memory get sucked up at about 10MB/5sec. We
> have 5 instances running on the DB w/ about 150 concurrent managers
> running between them. I haven't yet tried shutting off all of the
> instances and their concurrent managers before doing a cold backup. I
> hope to get time to do that tonight. Currently for a cold I shut down
> the managers for the database i want to backup and then shut down the
> instance itself and do the backup. As soon as it starts the memory
> drops. It does the same thing for a hot backup. Tonight I plan on
> having a downtime where i can shut down all of the instances and their
> manager and attempt a backup then to see if the memory problem is with
> the oracle processes running. I'm pretty sure it's not my backup
> software itself, but it may be a setting under solaris. Our
> consultants had us make some changes to /etc/system that I think
> pertain to memory, but I don't know enough about solaris memory usage
> to be certain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 08:05:20 CDT