Re: Help : TS rollbacks corrupted

From: Graham C Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:05:58 -0500

Olivier Bercovitz wrote in message <3770CBE1.D30750CE_at_steria.fr>...
>since we shutdown our db (with archivelog mode) we can't re-open it
>because we have an "ORA-27046 : file size is not a multiple of logical
block size"
>in alert.log.
>So what can we do ?
>Recreate the tablespace rollbacks (with active rollback segments and a db
mounted and not opened) ?
>What are the risk with this operation ? (We can't do an export with a db
not mounted)
>The database is 8.0.3 with archivelog mode on AIX 4.2.1.
>
>Thanks for your quick answer (it's a critical operational application !)
>
>Regards.
>Olivier

Oliver,

If you shutdown the database normally, the easiest thing to do would be to recreate the
rollback tablespace and segments.

Modify your INIT.ORA file and comment out the line that brings the rollbacks online. Then
start the database in no-mount mode. With the database started, take the rollback tablespace
offline and drop it. You should now be able to mount and open your database. - Don't try
any transactions yet!

Now create a new rollback tablespace, and new public rollback segments. Bring them online and
check everything is working. When you have done that, shutdown and take a cold backup.

The risks in this operation should be fairly minimal, since the tablespace is a rollback,
but since this is a 'critical operational application', and since you have the database shut
down already, it would be a wise precaution to take a cold backup before you start too.

I havn't seen this error occur before, so you might want to investigate what caused it. If
it had hit a data tablespace the situation would have been somewhat more serious.

HTH Graham

--
Empowerment - delegating the responsibility but not the authority.

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Abbott Laboratories . Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 08:05:58 CDT