Re: SOME QUESTIONS

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:18:56 GMT

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 06:24:34 +0200, "Andre" <trd_at_iafrica.com> wrote:

>Can Oracle be linked with ACCESS97 ? If so, how ?

I prefer to look at it the other way around, Access can be linked with Oracle. The answer is that it can be. We currently support one application written in Access where some of the tables are really Oracle tables. I forget the exact term that Access uses, but from Access you can connect to an Oracle database via ODBC, choose an Oracle table from a list, and link it to your Access database. From that point on, it works and acts more or less like any other Access table.

There are a couple things to watch for when doing this. Every user of the Access application needs to have ODBC installed, and they all need the same ODBC data source as was used when the tables were originally linked.

>Can Oracle be used to create reports ie add, subtract, sum ect ?
>If it can, how can we do it ?

Could you post a more specific example of a report that you are trying to create? There are tools that you can buy to create reports from an Oracle database, but if you are using Access, I would think that you would want Access to create the reports using data drawn from Oracle.

regards,

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Sat Jun 19 1999 - 23:18:56 CDT