Re: System tablespace

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:28:56 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:18:44 -0400, Kenneth C Stahl <kstahl_at_lucent.com> wrote:

>Does Oracle have any specific recommendations regarding the size of the
>SYSTEM table space when creating a new instance. I notice that after
>creating the database and running CATALOG.SQL, CATPROC.SQL and
>CATDBSYN.SQL, only about 15M of space is used. Does that mean I would be
>able to get by with a SYSTEM tablespace of 20M and then RESIZE it later
>if needed?
>
>Thoughts?

It depends on the options (e.g. replication, spatial, objects, time series,...) you'll try to install. With basic installation on Oracle7 you might succeed with initial size of 20M for system tablespace, however I don't see any point in doing so. Very soon, particularly if you create (and eventually replace) any stored objects (PL/SQL, views, ....), your system tablespace will grow beyond 20M limit. Especially prone to growth are the IDL_UB1$, IDL_UB2$, SOURCE$, I_SOURCE1, C_OBJ# and some others.

With Oracle8 I doubt that 20M will be enough for even the most basic system catalog installation.

I myself never create the database with initial size of less then 100MB for system tablespace (except for "toy" databases like Personal Oracle).

>Ken

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Fri Jun 18 1999 - 17:28:56 CDT