Re: Newbie. - relational theory

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:20:55 -0400

Sound like some pretty heavy relational theory? Are you taking a class? To be honest, I'm pretty familiar with functional dependency and relationships
but not to the extent of answering that question. You might try Date's classic
Fundamentals of Database Systems, sort of credited with elaborating on Chen's
original work on relational theory. This stuff is worth knowing in my opinion,
and your question actually has be curious, but believe me, you can do a pretty back
up job of designing a database without going that deep. I could be wrong, but I
think if you understand normalization, and when to denormalize for pratical purposes,
your probably not doing much damage.