Re: SQL NET - Listener for two instances???

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 23:17:53 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:15:19 -0600, Michael Reali <miker_at_newcenturysoftware.com> wrote:

>I have a single Windows NT machine (not NT server) running two
>databases, a production and a development version of the same data. How
>can I set up the listener on the database server to allow the clients to
>logon to either PROD or DEV as they choose. I haven't found anything in
>the documentation that would tell me this.

  1. Edit the listener.ora file on the server to list the details of the second instance (there should already be an entry in here for one of your instances - use it as a basis for the second, remembering to change the SID as appropriate)
  2. Edit the tnsnames.ora file on each client to list the details of the second instance.

and voila!

(I believe you'll have to stop and restart the listener to make it pick up the second address)

Ciao
Fuzzy