Cost as used in 'EXPLAIN PLAN'

From: Greg Akins <insomnia_at_a1usa.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:59:55 -0800

Hi,

I understand that cost is a relative measure of query efficiency. Can somebody give me a rough idea of scale.

For example, I do an explain plan and get some processes returned as Cost=1 or Cost=1 2. Then some get returned with Cost>5000.

Is Cost>5000 an unreasonably large figure. Those costs are related to a sort that appears to stem from a 'select distinct' What can I do to minimize the cost and still effect the 'select distinct'

-greg