Re: Massive Archive Logging

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:33:08 +0100

Some one else recently complained about the amount of extra redo generated after changing Oracle versions (in that case 7 to 8 I think).

Changing the size of the online redo log will not affect the amount of archive generated - the archive is just a copy of the online, and it doesn't matter whether you copy it 1M at a time or 100M at a time - the total copied will be the same (the performance of the database may be affected by checkpoints of course).

Possibilities -

Are you absolutely sure that the work done is still the same ? Are any users suddenly creating large table and indexes from time to time ?

Do you have any code to 'create table unrecoverable' or 'create index unrecoverable' that is suddenly not working unrecoverably ?

Do you have any SQL*Load in direct mode which are suddenly not loading unrecoverably, but are loading with redo generation.

Do you have any SQL*Load which are supposed to load with TRUNCATE, but now appear to be loading with DELETE ?

Check the redo wastage (v$sysstat) - is most of the increase redo wastage, or is it really redo ? Do you have stats pre-upgrade.

--

Jonathan Lewis