Re: Error 1578

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:41:36 +0100

On the other hand, if there are 45 empty beer bottles on the front seat, you can sketch out a couple of reasonable guesses.

The purpose of suggesting the events (which are 10210 for tables, 10211 for indexes and 10212 for clusters) is that it stops the ping-ping match where Oracle blames the O/S and IBM (it was an AIX box ?) blames Oracle.

With the event set, Oracle will check that the blocks are logically sound - in which case any errors at read time must be down to an O/S error fouling the block either on writing or on reading. If Oracle starts reporting logical errors at write time then the Oracle code is causing the problem. NB before setting these events, check with your local Oracle support.

Re: your comnet:

>I do agree that it will not happen with database
>restored from backup. We have identical sites
>running in production where all the hardware and
>software configuration are same. Also new site's
>system was created with backup from old site.

My original question about the database being a restored backup was heading in completely the opposite direction - how confident are you that the backup is a clean backup, or that the backup restored properly ?

You seem to be saying that it is only the recovered database that is throwing out the errors - I would be inclined to suspect the backup/recovery process.

--

Jonathan Lewis