PLSQL_V2_COMPAT?

From: Steven Meller <meller_at_24by7consulting.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:36:44 -0400

Quoted material from Server8.1.5/Reference/Initialization Parameters:

"The PL/SQL compiler will allow OUT parameters to be used in expression contexts in some cases (for example, in dot-qualified names on the right-hand side of assignment statements). This behavior is restricted to a few cases - fields of OUT parameters that are record, and OUT parameters referenced in the FROM list of a SELECT statement. In contrast, PL/SQL V3 does not permit OUT parameters to be used in expression contexts.
PL/SQL will allow OUT parameters in the FROM clause of a SELECT list, where their value is read."

I am interested in emulating the behavior experienced in Interbase, viz., SELECT a,b FROM myproc INTO ahold, bhold; when myproc is a stored procedure:
CREATE PROCEDURE myproc RETURNS (a int, b int) AS...

SO I'd like to interpret the Oracle behavior as SELECT a,b INTO ahold, bhold FROM myproc.a, myproc.b;

But, as you guessed, this fails with "myproc is not a table or view" Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in Advance, Steve Received on Mon Jun 14 1999 - 20:36:44 CDT