Re: Increase speed of data retrieval

From: <michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:15:28 GMT

Hi.
 "Oracle Performance Tuning" by Mack Gurry & Peter Corrigan.  ISBN 1-56592-237-9  Look at you data hit ratios.
 If you have < 95% ( probably you do ) - increase SGA sizes.  You may have application problem : incorrectly written queries,  missing indexes, incorrect indexes etc.  Try to get some tuning tool(s) to check it.

  Good luck. Michael.

In article <Ecd83.1629$_j6.75624_at_typhoon-sf.snfc21.pbi.net>,   "Filip Hanik" <fhanik_at_digitalworkforce.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> Our installation of Oracle is super slow.
> I've been playing around with the parameters and reading tips sent
earlier
> to this news group.
> But it is still really slow. We are running Oracle 8.0.5 and Win NT
40. Dual
> Pentium 350 with 320 Mb RAM.
>
> The databases are running about 20Mb of RAM and 60Mb in virtual
memory.
> What seems really slow is just pulling the data out of the database,
> especially large binary fields.
>
> My second question, what is the title of the O'Reilly book that is
being
> recommended.
>
> Anything would help, thanks
> Filip
>
> --
> Filip Hanik
> System Architect
> Digital Workforce
> fhanik_at_pacbell.net
> filip_hanik_at_hotmail.com
> 415-863 7676

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sat Jun 12 1999 - 15:15:28 CDT