Re: SUN E450 vs. Compaq Proliant 3000

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 14:21:44 -0400

hwkump_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <7jp56k$p6u$1_at_news.eecs.umich.edu>,
> "Peter Wu" <wupz_at_umich.edu> wrote:
> > Hi, We are at a point to upgrade our server to a faster machine, which
> will
> > run Oracle 8.1.5. There is suggestion that we can buy a Sun Enterprise
> > Server 450 or a Compaq Proliant 3000. Both machines have dual
> processors:
> > SparcII 400Mhz vs. Pentium II 400 Mhz, and both will have 2GB memory.
> >
> > E450 will run Solaris 2.7 and Proliant3000 will run Windows NT.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience to help us decide?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> We have two E450's (one is 2.6, one 2.5.1) running Oracle 7.3.4, and
> have never had a problem. Performance and reliability are great. I
> would definitely get the optional second power supply.
>
> I have only second-hand knowledge of Oracle on NT. I am told it is not
> very stable or reliable.
>
> Good luck!

Performancewise, E450/ 400 MHz will run circles around the Compaq machine
with two Pentium II/400 MHz because of the different architecture of the internal bus, memory components ant the rest. Intel cannot beat UltraSPARC
yet. On the other hand, let's imagine that there is another beast, having
two PA8200 and the same memory configuration. That would be much more interesting
race. Against PA8500, SUN would most definitely lose. --
Mladen Gogala Received on Sat Jun 12 1999 - 13:21:44 CDT