Re: SUN E450 vs. Compaq Proliant 3000

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:42:08 -0700

I have substantial experience on both platforms and I would choose Sun/Solaris over any Windows based platform every time. With Sun/Solaris you may be forced to reboot your production server once or twice a year: With NT it is good practice to do so once a week. And if you don't it may well do it for you by crashing like a cheap plane. The problem isn't Oracle ... it is Windows. And from what I've seen of Windows 2000 my opinion toward Windows is not changed.

Your management may gripe about spending more for the UNIX platform but just remind them that they are going to spend the money one way or the other. They can spend it on a piece of depreciable hardware that is an asset or they can spend it on manpower cleaning up the messes Windows makes.

Daniel A. Morgan