Re: Cold backups on linux

From: John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:16:35 -0500

You didn't mention archivelog mode, so I assume you are not archiving the redo logs.

If you are taking daily cold backups but not archiving your redo logs, then a media failure just before the daily backup can cause the loss of that full day's production. Is this OK with your users? Maybe they think they are fully protected?

I am not making this judgment -- just be sure the users understand that they may have to repeat a full day of work.

I have found that most users tell me not to go to any extremes like archiving, but I should be sure that they are protected up to the second.