Re: Load testing for Users

From: John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:09:11 -0500

Well, surely you can calculate some things.

How big will the PGA for each user be? Now multiply this by 1000 users. Add the SGA size. Add the other memory requirements. Do you have this much real memory? If not, swapping / paging will occur, so how fast is your swapping / paging device?

Suppose your query is properly indexed -- that is, all conditions are satisfied in the index. So each user may need 1 or 2 I/O's to retrieve the index leaf with his own key. Then each user will need up to x I/O's to retrieve the blocks containing his rows. I say this because there is no reason to believe that any user's x rows are clustered into the same block -- unless you have forced that to be true.

Likewise, there is no reason to believe that a block retrieved for one user will contain a row of interest to another user. Yes, there will be some, but probably few cache hits here!

So we are looking at (x + 2) * 1000 random I/O's. How fast is your disk for random reads? A good average for SCSI disks is 80 random I/O's per second. So I guess you are in the ballpark of (x+2)*1000/80 seconds of total elapsed time. Maybe a little less if some of the index I/O overlaps the data I/O. If x = 6, that is about 100 seconds.